Wednesday, December 7, 2011

You don't have to be a "Guy With a Camera" to be a GWC.



What is a GWC you ask?


GWC is an acronym for a "Guy With Camera." It's a derogatory term normally used when describing amateur photographers. It is also implied that the GWC is only interested in photography in order to get Women naked. Sounds straight forward right? Not for me.


There's something I've found really funny about this whole "GWC" thing, the Pro's produce the same images as the GWC! All I see from so called Pro's mainly in Facebook groups and Model Mayhem is scantily clad (if clad at all) Women. Most of the images I see have no rhyme nor reason just a naked Woman doing something stupid like, laying on the floor with her butt in the air in a pile of candy. Or the image of the totally naked Woman just standing there covering her nipples. If that ain't "GWC" like, I don't know what is. What are these images for? What are we to get from viewing these images? Most of these images have no artistic value or dramatic lighting what so ever, just a nice body standing there naked with heels on. SMH at some of you GWC's....I mean "Professionals".




Now I have no problem drooling over a very well built frame on a beautiful Woman from time to time, hell that's what we as men do but at what point does the line between GWC and Pro Photographer get blurred? Well I'll tell you. The line gets blurry when the image has no value, when it cant be used for anything other than sharing in Facebook groups and other social media outlets. I see a lot of these images floating around more often than not. I'm not so sure that the term GWC should solely be reserved for amateurs. Some of the pros produce the same images.


As an emerging Photographer I have questions. I see things through a different lens because I haven't bought into any doctrine or common practice in Photography. As for now my thought process is this....if your image doesn't fit into the category of Fashion, Beauty, Commercial, Photojournalism, Portrait, Wedding or any other category of photography that consists of wearing clothes you're a GWC suspect.


Naked or scantily clad Women in images that aren't for some sort of Publication or Professional use equals a GWC behind the lens. I'm just saying.......these are just my thoughts.


I wish you all God Speed and Peace!

1 comment: